Sunday, February 14, 2010

SANTO VALENTINO




Yes, it’s that time of the year again, when husbands across the land stand to be crucified for forgetting Valentine’s Day!

I recall a Valentine’s Day many years ago, when TLW (The Little Woman) presented me with a pair of boxer’s that had printed on them: “Love Hits The Jackpot!” I gave her a brand new vacuum cleaner.

Actually, that is not true, what I got her was an expensive box of Perugina Chocolates, which she looked at and said: “You don’t have to buy me chocolates, I’m not a big chocolate eater.” I said: “I know.” (They were delicious!)

Now that we are older, we go out for dinner, or as in this year, brunch, and are just happy to be with each other after almost 40 years. We will: probably spend the day quietly, maybe laugh a little and read the papers and talk.

Being married to her I learned that “Home” is just a word that exist solely as the place she occupies at the time I am with her. Home is at a store, the car, an emergency room, a sun lit beach if we are together.

But love did hit the jackpot, and I’ve been on target ever since! She is a great gal, a wonderful wife and mother. We were a natural, destined to meet somehow. We have been very comfortable with each other, and after all these years, like most married couples, still in love.

Over the years, I’m the one who remembers all the dates that are significant in our life together. She just makes them more special every year. I hope my sons have what I have in my life, for a valentine.

Two secrets to keep your marriage brimming:
1. Whenever you're wrong, admit it,
2. Whenever you're right, shut up.

Nash

Ellen (TLW, a.k.a. The Little Woman), I love you, you crazy kid, you.

No comments: