Monday, February 22, 2010

A SMALL COFFEE AND…



The stark realization that things are getting bad!

I went to drop off some stuff at a printer recently, and it was about 10:00 am, and I started feeling hungry. I realized I had a lunch meeting at 1:00 pm, so I decided to swing around my usual route to my home and stop to get my favorite coffee in the whole world.

Dunkin’ Donuts makes the best to coffee, in my opinion.

I entered the shop and headed up to the counter, and almost immediately, I notice something is out of whack, but I can’t put my finger on it. The gentleman behind the counter is a middle aged man, who is very attentive, and focused on me. Hey, this IS Dunkin Donuts, where the goods are great but the service can be a problem. I ask for a small coffee, no sugar, and the gentleman signals one of his helpers to the order.

I pay and as I’m leaving, I realize what was bothering me



The man behind the counter IS a white middle-aged individual, and his assistant was a white middle-aged female. Both of them dressed normally, both spoke perfect English, and both looked like they felt out of place!

Usually, I find one of two kinds of people behind the counters of Dunkin Donuts, Seven Elevens and what not: Pakistani’s, just back from a jihad, or teenagers, pierced through the lips, nose, ears and eyebrows. One, because I’m deaf as it is, can’t communicate to me because of a very thick accent, and one who can’t communicate with me because they are elsewhere! (Usually texting)

I came to realize, business for Dunkin Donuts may pick up somewhat because the service is getting better. Two displaced individuals in the work force are taking the jobs away from the usual work force! The middle-aged white people are now getting the menial jobs! The two people I saw in the donut shop had probably lost their white-collar jobs and were working somewhere to tied them over!

Just think, service with an understanding, Service with a focused person behind the counter. I was tempted to go to my local gas station to see where they were in this scene of life, but needed to get home to do some work.

I wonder what will happen in the spring, when my lawn man shows up with his crew? I usually greet the crew with a Que pasa? I wonder if they will understand me?

I’ll tell you this, when Dunkin Donuts goes back to its regular crew of teenagers and Whacky Pakis, things are getting better.

1 comment:

Hence72 said...

nice blog