Thursday, February 11, 2010

SUPERBORED XLIV


Well, I read all the hype, saw all the promos, and heard all the predictions I care to. I read the comparisons and watched the game itself, and so what?

I love to watch football, and I do so every Sunday that it is on. I don’t get hysterical, I do make fun of the players, change there last names to match their performances, but eat my dinner if the game is still going on. (There are some things that I MUST do.)

But, the game between the Indiana Colts (Is Indiana still a state?), and the New Orleans Saints called “SUPER BOWL XLIV” was just another game. Why do I say that? How could I call myself a football fan and say that? Had these two teams met in the regular season would I have gotten that much hype? Would the newspapers be making comparisons such as what Indiana (Is Indiana still a state?), and New Orleans have? Which quarterback is heavier, or taller, or how many players are from Indian (Is Indiana still a state?), or New Orleans? Would I be going out to buy chili, finger foods and wearing painted faces or color-coded clothing, while bar-b-queuing in my back yard or tailgate because of the game?

This isn’t exactly the miracle of Lake Placid about to be enacted. This is not the good ole US of A against the evil empire, rally around the troops, boys! This is a football game. The winner gets about $80,000, the loser about $50,000. Hell, for $50,000, I’ll be a loser for one evening, AND you can forget about me next year, too, when the trivia question comes up, “Who lost last year’s Super Bowl?”

Who was the big winner? CBS was the big winner. If you don’t think so, ask the companies that paid for their two-minute spots, during the game.

It seemed to me that there was more airtime for the commercials than the actual game itself. Kick-off, then go to a commercial, time out, to a commercial, the head coach sneezes, to a commercial, to a commercial, well, to a commercial!

Now halftime is interesting. They pay some band to play their best hits, rushing through the list, while all of America is using their toilets, and refilling their faces, so no one is paying attention.

Next year, if the two teams playing have played each other during the regular season: I will try to find a tape of the game and watch it, instead of the Superbowl, because it will go a lot faster, and I won’t need hype.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

The Who performed at half-time and sounded pretty bad. Someone wrote in to the Daily News and said they should change the name of "The Who" to "The Why".