Thursday, March 18, 2010

DRESS-UP DAY


It is amazing how much things can change from generation to generation!

Recently I was working on a Powerpoint presentation for my high school reunion, and I noticed in one of the old photographs, one of the guys was dressed in a tie. Then it occurred to me that that was what we called: “Dress-up day”. A day where the students got dressed up!

No one had ripped jeans, or shirts that hung out of our pants. We all wore shoes, and our hair was combed. We weren’t allowed out of the house unless we looked decent.

We actually, as a student body, requested “Dress-up day”! It was a privilege in those days to get dressed up. Today, you go to a wedding and half the crowd is not “Dressed-up”!

I remember when Dad wore wing-tipped shoes and a fedora to work. He was in his thirty’s and everyone dressed for certain occasions.

You go into church today, and you see men wearing shorts and sandals. I guess it shouldn’t matter what you wear in God’s house, as long as you go, but I can’t imagine myself doing that.

Why I recall when they wore suits and ties, and/or dresses for plane trips, trains and dates. I guess we used to have respect for each other in those days. Now we only care that we are comfortable. Maybe the younger generation has the right idea. What with all the pressure of growing up in this world today, at least make yourself as comfortable as possible.

3 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Whenever you see the old newsreels, people look "dressed up", even at the ballgame. Men wore suits and ties and women, dresses and hats. My Dad, too, went to work always wearing a suit, tie and snappy fedora. I think there's a middle ground where comfort meets neatness. Tank tops in church and pajama bottoms and flip flops in the supermarket should be punishable by death.

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I hate when people where those pj bottoms in public...it's so gross! Looks like they just rolled out of bed and didnt even bother to bathe or comb their hair. Ew,,,

Peter Scofield said...

Hello guys, contact deadlyhacker01@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +1 3478577580 if you need to hire a real hacker to help monitor your spouse's phone remotely.