Thursday, March 25, 2010

A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME…


Unless someone lives in it. Of course, someone can live in it, and it still could not be called home! Depends. Love makes the home, and I had the privilege to visit two homes recently that had love making it inviting and homey.

I had to do an evaluation of two homes for people with developmental disabilities, in Riverhead, NY. This is done on a yearly basis, and is conducted by the Board of Directors, to insure our population is treated as best possible. People with developmental disabilities need oversight, and protection. As a board member, it is my duty and obligation to make sure both exist.

But the people that run and administer these homes are truly amazing! The love, the attention and professionalism they give are beyond my mortal descriptions.

Each of the homes I visited is sparkling clean, cheerful, and the resident’s love being there. Yet I look everywhere, under every cover, in every corner, even in closets, looking for something to criticize, there is very, very little to complain about!

I also have to interview one of the residents, asking questions about their freedom to use the phone, the food, their privacy and what not.

I had one interview with a young lady, who seemed to consider every question I had, thought through her answer, then gave me a very long dissertation, sometimes going off the main track, and eventually, with my coaxing: returned on track!

But the interaction with the residents is the best thing by far. They greet me with a handshake, sometimes making comments: “Welcome, welcome, step right in!” for one.

I happened to be waiting for them to return home from their day-program, and as they entered, they are all eager to shake your hand, introduce themselves and ask who I am. I feel very welcomed there.

One gentleman came up to me and asked: “Who are you? What do you do?
“Hi, my name is Joe. I’m here to visit your home for the board of directors, to make sure everything is ok for you and your buddies.”
“Oh, but what do you do?”
“I don’t understand, what do you mean.”
“You have a job? You go to program? What do you do?”
“OH! I’m retired, I don’t work anymore.”
“You don’t work! You don’t have a job?” Here he sits down to contemplate that kind of existence. He continues: “You don’t work! You should get a job. Why don’t you work?”
As you can tell, he takes his job in the workshop in Bohemia, very seriously. He is proud of that job, more so than any diploma I own, any award or recognition I received in my lifetime. He has purpose in his life, one that could have ended badly.

So these gentle people, people without the chances we have, teach us something. They teach that if we are different, and I am in their world, they will accept me, make me welcomed and not be turned off by who or what I am. I truly love them.

But I love the institution that gives them the chance. I love all the board members that attend the meetings and dedicate themselves to what they do for this special population, and I love the staff that cares for them, does all the paperwork, and runs the agency to make it ensure the population has life, dignity and purpose in their existence.

See for yourself.

http://www.ahrcsuffolk.org/

No comments: