Monday, March 29, 2010

MY ‘GO TO’ MAN

Often he sits like a cross between Poncho Villa and a loveable munchkin, although he must be over six feet, and weight close to 250 lbs. He is crafty, observant and shrewd. He knows how to use people, speak to them that is, not for his benefit, but for others.

Whenever he sees me, he will give me a wisecrack, or tease, and expect me to take it. He also loves it when I fling it back at him. He is that kind of guy, my kind.

Often, when I need help, he is the ‘Go to’ man, the one I call on when I need something done or someone to help out. He gets me donors, volunteers, places, anything, with: Don’t worry boss, I’ll take care of it.” And he does!

He is a very loyal man, a man of good nature, honest, forthright and yet can be in his own way, a little crude. Maybe that is what I like about him, no airs. I won’t tell you his name, suffice it to say, he is well known in the circles I travel in.

The best part about this man is that he is very eager to help. When he helps, he can take over, maybe take on too much, then I have to rein him in a little, for his good, not mine.

All too often, he will be in the midst of helping others, and something may go wrong. Others having known him a long time for his ever present help, will chew him out, abusing his wonderfully good nature, and like the class act he is, he just takes it. These people think nothing of abusing this bear of a man, this good and loveable soul, this gentle giant.

Someone, some day is going to pay for that, because now that he works for me, they will deal with me!

The ‘Go to’ Man serves God and humanity, better than anyone I have ever known. I find it a privilege to have him work with me. He strips away the pretense, and wears the cloak of true humility and love.

No comments: