Friday, March 26, 2010

WHO’S THE OLD GUY?

When the kid was born, I started to calculate how long it would be before he would be old enough to mow the lawn.

When he was born, I calculated how old he would be before he started high school, then college, and then drive a car.

When he was born, I tried to guess how old he would be before he married.

I spend a lot of time guessing!

Now that he is about to accomplish all these events and goals, I can rest assured that at least he will be happy.

But before I could turn around, he is 37! Where did the time go? What have I been doing all these years? I still see myself as 37 years old! Don’t we all?

I look at buildings like schools he went to, and it was only yesterday, or was it this morning, I left him off! Yet so many years have past me by, my life is no longer a young man’s life; it is an old man’s.

#1 Son, Anthony has been gone for a while now. He is still our child, (TLW) The Little Woman will agree with me, yet now he is becoming a stranger. A visitor when he comes home, and he leaves without looking back!

It almost makes me feel sad that he doesn’t look back. Yet I am grateful that he is mature enough to go on by himself, and now with a new partner. When he has children, they will be fortunate to have such parents, and the world will be a better place. If he gets out, what he put into a father/son relationship, he will prosper.

The old guy is me, and the new old guy is #1 Son!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANTHONY!
Love, Mom and Dead.

3 comments:

YOUR GODMOTHER said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MOVIE STAR
LOVE AUNT THERESA AND UNCLE JOHN

Fran said...

Have a wonderful birthday Anthony! I think 37 is very young sounding, especially coming from your old Aunt Fran! Have a great day!
Love,
Uncle Tom and Aunt Fran

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh.. to be 37 again!! Happy Birthday Anthony!!

Love
Aunt Mary Ann