Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DREADED DUTY!


Recently TLW (The Little Woman) was recruited to help out with the Agency’s weekly BINGO game, which helps us raise money to support programs for children and adults with developmental disabilities. When I see the little children who are starting out life in such unfortunate circumstances, my heart goes out to them, and I need to do something. The fact that my daughter, an adult also benefits makes me want to do it even more.

It seems that the BINGO staffing is always short-handed and the wonderful lady that runs it, is in her mid to late 80’s, the need to get her help is important, and to do what we can paramount to avoiding disaster.

Feeling sorry for TLW who was going right after work, I told her to come home first and pick me up, and we would do it together.

Working BINGO is like working in a women’s prison rec room!

They come in after working and have their paychecks cashed, on a Friday night, ready to play! These women, and a few men scattered throughout, seem like they all work in a factory of some sort. I say that because of the way they dress, the fact that many of them are in great pain when they walk, and many are just nice plain humble people who have nothing else that can make them happy.

I was in charge of selling game books, which run $20 a book.

“Give me 3 books, sweetie. I want one from each of those piles.”

“Yes ma’am, here you go, that will be $60!”

Sixty bucks comes across the table, from a heavily perfumed and manicured set of wrinkled and disfigured fingers!

I’m not sure if the lady drank or bathed in the perfume, and have to hold my breath for a moment.

“Here you go, three books, and thank you and good luck!”

“Wow!” No one wished me good luck before!” Boy, I hope you are hot; you could be my lucky charm.

Desperately I look for TLW who is out on the floor selling stuff.

One lady comes up and reached into her ample bosom and pulls put a $20 dollar bill, I get it still warm.

“One please, and do you mind if I pick it out?”

“Not after that!”

“What?”

“I said: go after that.”

She spreads out the pile of game books and selects one like it was a deck of cards.

“Now, don’t let me see it.”

“Huh!”

“I said: Will that be it?”

One of my buddies from the board of directors is there helping out, and while the games are being called, you don’t do anything but sit around and chat.

BIG MISTAKE!

Don’t EVER talk during the game: the ladies don’t like it!

“Eh can ya keep it down overdere, I can’t concentrate overhere!”

She can’t concentrate over one number! It is only one number, and it is also pictured on a TV monitor!

I decide to go outside to get some fresh air from the heat that is generated in the game room. As I decide to come back in, the game is in intermission, and a herd of large gamers are heading my way for a smoke break! Fear overcomes me as I jump to the side: as they swallowed up two other guys who were standing outside. Poor bastards!

These are poor people, who after work only want one thing, to play BINGO with their earnings, and you better be prepared to offer it right!

Tomorrow: BEING EQUIPPED!

No comments: