Tuesday, April 06, 2010

HOW DO YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART?


Today is my son Joseph’s birthday. He would have been 31 today. Someone once told me that it looked like my head was cut off, and put on his shoulders: he looked so much like me!

He is a reminder of the past, a reminder of the love within the four walls of my home, and a reminder that others in this world have pain too.

I can’t forget my son, so I can’t forget the love and/or the many people in this world who suffer. I guess I could just go on, live MY life, and not worry about anything else, but I’ve been there, felt the heartbreak and the pain, and the cold emptiness that sits like a cape on my shoulders.

He didn’t live a long life: he wasn’t even 2 years old when God called. He had no chance to do anything in life for himself, or others, yet he has touched me all these years, and reminded me, I have to open my heart and give.

There are people out there I genuinely care about, people who I’ve known all my life, some I met after many years of absence, and some I have yet to meet. We won’t dwell in our sorrow, instead we will laugh in spite of it! We will watch a sunrise as well as a sunset, sing a song and paint a picture. And God forbid, if need be, hold each other’s hand when that time comes. But I hope to be there.

1 comment:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

I am so sorry that you had to endure the pain of losing a child. He was a beautiful boy. I know he is smiling in heaven. Hugs to you and Ellen on this day.