Saturday, April 03, 2010

WE JUST KEEP ON GETTING LARGER!

The family, that is.

Between my four sisters and their children I did a head count after talking to Mom last week. She said with the arrival of 2 new babies coming, she would have 11 great grandchildren!

That’s five children, 14 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren!

That is pretty good, since not all her grandchildren are married yet.

When I remember back to Brooklyn, growing up and the small nucleus of people in that little walk-up, it amazes me. How wonderful for her to see occur, to see what was started in November of 1940, to what it is by October of 2010!

It is indeed an interesting family, we’ve had great joy and great tragedy, but we have always stayed cohesive. There has been the ‘firsts’ that we achieved, the first to go to college, the first marriage, the first grandchild, all those are wonderful and fruitful things.

My sisters have done great things in their lives, as mothers and wives, raising great children, which are all reflecting back to Mom, and her values. These very values are what I used for a measuring stick, so that I found TLW (The Little Woman). It made me last longer than I should have, and to need to see all these wonderful people is what keeps me going.

These are the things that I count as riches. They are the sounds of voices, the sights of faces, and laughter, joy and gladness of being with them, can not be substituted by anything else.

And now one of my sons is about to marry! That is more joy and I look forward to a wonderful couple, that I can call my children! Wait till you meet Courtney!

No comments: