Monday, May 10, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, OLYMPIA!

Or Mom.

Yes, just when you thought we were done with mom, the next day is her birthday! Many a year her birthday fell on Mother’s Day, and so I always thought I had an extra special mom.

Mom had a simple philosophy with raising children. “Do what I say, or else!” That was #1 on her hit list. Her hit list was when you broke a rule of hers: you got hit! She had a philosophy similar to Teddy Roosevelt that went: “Speak sternly and carry a big wooden spoon!” OK, she WAS tougher the Teddy!

Mom had patience, often teaching me that. “Wait, just wait until I get my hands on you!” or the equally effective: “Wait, just wait until your father gets home!”

As I mentioned before, I never really knew what mom looked like until I went to high school one day, and when I came home, she was in a good mood and I actually could see her face! All I had ever seen was a finger pointing down at me! Yes, she looked like a pointed index finger!

But there is another side of mom that I don’t ever forget. She really is very cheerful, and has infected us with her optimism. Often she would just break out in song, sing all the old ditties, which I now remember so well. She is quick to laugh at a joke, whether it is about herself or anyone else.

And of course, she could cook! She really can bring it home! Mom doesn’t cook anymore, she is 92 today, but she put enough food in our bellies as children that will sustain us for the rest of our lives.

We were never too sick as children, since her medical advice was quite simple: Take an aspirin and go to school, you’ll be fine.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!

No comments: