Tuesday, May 04, 2010

MY BABY IS GETTING OLD!


Yes, she no longer can hold it in, can’t move very well, has a hard time standing and walking, and is starting to have accidents! To top it all off, she is deafer than her owner! Happy, my Cocker Spaniel (Who only barks in English) is aging.

Sleeping all day, the only exercise she gets is moving from one room to another to sleep some more. She is only eating once a day, and hardly bothers to beg! Rarely does she walk anywhere, and comes right in after doing her business outdoors. (When she isn’t doing it indoors)

There was a time once long ago, when the whole house was hers. She could climb the stairs, run up and down, bark at people like she meant it, and be the biggest pain-in-the-neck alive! Now, she could give a toot. She used to watch and hear strangers outside, and start yapping away. Now, she looks, growls a little, in a sleeping position, like; “You know what I mean” growl, and goes back to sleep.

We used to be best buddies! She would jump up on my lap and sit there, until my legs fell asleep. We used to go for walks, or rides in the car, and she would look all around, saying, or so it seemed: “Look world, I’m out with Daddy!” Now she slouches and shivers if I take her in the car, like we are taking her somewhere she is afraid of.

I am starting to feel lonely now. I swear I’ll never have another dog, once she is gone, but I wonder. Happy is like a child to me sometimes, and sometimes like an old lady. It pains me to see her like the way she is. I hope she goes quietly and painlessly. I hope I don’t see her when she does, but hope I’m there for her. It is very mixed up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe, she's still your best buddy! Just love her and yes ... kiss her even if you get fur on your lips!

I've been there with many pets. We have no children so they are our "babies". Hugs.



-jan/PCH

Anonymous said...

As much as it is a heart breaking
thing, just know Happy as been
Happy all these many years having you
and TLW by her side. Pat