Saturday, June 19, 2010

39 YEARS AND WE’VE ONLY JUST BEGUN


“We've only just begun to live,
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way.
And yes, we've just begun.

Before the rising sun we fly,
So many roads to choose
We start our walking and learn to run.
And yes, we've just begun.

Sharing horizons that are new to us,
Watching the signs along the way,
Talking it over just the two of us,
Working together day-to-day Together.

And when the evening comes we smile,
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow,
And yes, we've just begun.”

It seems like yesterday! Where has the time gone? What magic is there that this woman performs for me everyday of our lives?

Oh we have our spats, and who doesn’t? We have our stubbornness, but who doesn’t? But we have an unspoken commitment, which settles all our disputes, no matter how petty they are. She has never said an unkind word to me, although I would be afraid to read her mind. I have tried never to do the same, and so we live, in a happiness tested time and time again by forces beyond our control. But a strong union can always carry the day.

We are similar in many ways, she and I come from large families, we both have the same values, and we love each other. Yet we are different in many ways, kind of complimentary different. I am a big mouth, like to do silly things and have fun, a sentimentalist, a saver of things from the past, and I savor the moments when they happen. She is a person of focus, duty and all business. I find it hard to get her to laugh, but then again, what is so really funny? She is the grown up in the relationship.

I would not change what it is we have, nor would I change myself, or try to change her. We are the total package, and what you see is what you get, depending on which one of us you talk to.

We’ve seen our fill of sadness and good, we have agreed that if we had the chance to do it over, we would do it again.

So after 39 years, I will say what I say everyday, in my mind, heart and soul: I love you, Ellen. (TLW) a.k.a. The Little Woman.

Oh! I almost forgot! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

How wonderful!! 39 years!!

Love you both!
Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to a couple of great people and a great couple.
ss-i-l

Jim Pantaleno said...

Happy Anniversary to a wild and crazy guy, and to the gracious lady who keeps him out of jail.