Saturday, June 12, 2010

THE BENEFITS OF STAYING IN TOUCH


Sometimes you run into people by accident, and sometimes by design. I must be a great designer! I organized a reunion recently, and had the pleasure of having breakfast with a lady who I hadn’t seen in over 45 years! She hasn’t changed a bit! Beautiful and sweet, and she married a wonderful guy 39 years ago!

I speak of the lovely Marlene Fox Strong, and her husband Bob. Living down in North Carolina, and up for the reunion, we had occasion to have breakfast together recently on a Saturday Morning before they headed home.

What is interesting is that they are still in love, care about one another, and like all married couples, talk about each other, and then argue over small facts! I know that is exactly what TLW (The Little Woman) and I do!

Marlene has never changed. She still looks like she did in high school, and is still sweet as ever!

After the tree memorial the week before, we were gathering to go to lunch when I was talking to a group of people. Marlene was one of them, and she got very close to me, and started to pinch my arm! I looked at her and asked: “What is that for?” She looked at me and in her very soft voice said: “For all those times you teased me in High School!”

I don’t remember, but she did, and so I decided that if I deserved that, she was allowed to pinch me as often as she felt like it. Throughout the reunion, I would offer my arm up for pinching, and she took full advantage of it!

So a week later, we gathered for breakfast and had a wonderful conversation, and since she was visiting a child in Holbrook, I extended an invitation to visit me for dinner whenever they come up from North Carolina.

We talked about classmates, who looked good and who did what and lived where, and as we left the restaurant and stood in the parking lot for one last; “Goodbye”, I stuck my arm out one more time, and she pinched. It was an enjoyable reprimand from a lovely lady!

No comments: