Friday, June 11, 2010

HAPPY DAYS (DAZE)




“Sunday, Monday, Happy Days.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days.
Thursday, Friday, Happy Days.
The weekend comes,
My cycle hums,
Ready to race to you.”

It was billed as a throw back to the old days, my high school years. I would once again reconnect with my youth and some of my classmates as well! We would meet at the Bellport Gateway Playhouse to enjoy a performance of ‘Happy Days”, a kind of replay of the popular sitcom from the 70’s. Created by Garry Marshall. With Henry Winkler, Marion Ross, Tom Bosley and Ron Howard for TV, the play version would be a reminder without promise, except for what is in one’s head.

“These days are all,
Happy and Free. (Those Happy Days)
These days are all,
Share them with me. (oh baby)
Goodbye grey sky, hello blue.
There's nothing can hold me when I hold you.
Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.”


The casting was very good, and the story line a little predictable, but good. I enjoyed the raw talent that sang and danced and must say it held my attention. The tickets were a generous gift from the lovely daughter of one of my high school reunion committee member, Judy Fuoco Hunter.



She was a lady then in the 60’s, and remained so in the present. He daughter reserved complimentary tickets and we sat in the best seats in the house! Middle about 10 rows back, perfect for viewing and hearing what was going on in the theatre.

“Sunday, Monday, Happy Days.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Happy Days.
Thursday, Friday, Happy Days.
Saturday, What a day,
Groovin' all week with you.”




Afterward there were pictures being taken, and old acquaintances met, after 45 years! People who I forgot came alive once again! Before the show, TLW (The Little Woman) and I got there after dinner and it started to gently shower. Outside this grand old theatre that my family has a small connection to from the 1940’s, sat a large tent, and we sat under it, listening to the gentle pitter-patter of the rain and the gentle cool breezes that caressed one from the heat of the day. It was a romantic moment that I truly enjoyed, and must say, it put me in a very receptive mood for the show itself.

“These days are all,
Share them with me. (Those Happy Days)
These days are all,
Happy and Free. (oh baby)
These Happy Days are your's and mine.
These Happy Days are your's and mine, Happy Days.”


The funny thing is, as we sat under that tent, I saw a lot of people arriving about my age. Some of them I think I have seen before in another life, but dared not go over and introduce myself, in case I was wrong. It seemed like a ghost from the past has walked by, briefly showing a face from 45 years ago!



A couple of my classmates arrived and sat under the tent with us as we waited, and made for a very enjoyable time. We talked about ourselves, and the current as well as past goings on, and laughed at the drop of a hat.
As for the performance, they never sang a song from the period, but instead borrowed the sense of the songs, to make new ones for the play. If you went for the old music, you would be disappointed, but if you realized what was happening, it was a great show. To me it was just that, great!

No comments: