Tuesday, June 22, 2010

THE SUPREME EFFORT

Or… What did it say?

I got a copy of a recent State Supreme Court decision on an issue I am familiar with. There was a covering memo to explain that it went one way, and not the other. Thank God! No, not for the decision: but for the covering memo. In it’s one sentence, it told me what the whole three pages tried to say!

It seems that whenever a lawyer gets involved in something, they confuse the language, confuse the issue, and confuse me! Why do they need to make it so my hair hurt when they write something? Why not use English to convey what they wish to say?

“Inter alia”




What ever the hell that means was tossed about in the decision of the court!

So I looked it up and it means among other things: “Among other things”

Gee! Why didn’t they say so?

Who knew?

So you wonder why courts are tied up with too many cases, that there is a backlog of cases. Well, I’ll tell you why. The morons that write these legal papers look up these terms, toss them into the mix of English sentences, and find more crazy Latin words to cause the greatest legal minds to run to their law dictionaries, and look up these words. That can take hours! No, some of this stuff may take days to figure out.

Can you imagine using this crap to communicate?

You walk into the deli: there behind the counter stands Murray Cohen ready to slice your roast beef.

“Uh, yeah, Murray, I’ll have a corned beef on rye inter-alia with mustard, and inter alia, a side order of slaw.

Well if you ever get into trouble with the Law, and claim: “I didn’t know!” I say to you: “ignorantia iuris non excusat”!

You get my drift?

No comments: