Monday, June 21, 2010

VIRTUS


About ten years ago there was “Leave no child behind”, a political initiative by then President Bush, and yesterday there is “Leave no child unprotected” initiative, led by my diocese. What is this about? It is about our most sacred assets, our children.

I was asked a few months ago to attend a Virtus meeting, a meeting about keeping children safe from predators, and when I was asked, I went almost kicking and screaming and when I left I left thanking God that he made me aware!

Having to give up my Saturday afternoon to sit in some crowded hot room, and be lectured, on a hard seat, was not enthralling to me. But I went because as a volunteer, being the chair for the parish fund raising committee, and perhaps at some point meeting with children, it is required of me.

I am ashamed to admit, I went for the wrong reason, and left finding the right one. What could be more important than an effort to protect children from harm? It seems to me that as adults, that should be a primary obligation, duty and focus. It has nothing to do with my comfort but the mental and physical well being of children.

As I sat through the presentation, they made us aware of what sexual abuse does to the victims, what ugliness it creates in the victims mind. All through it, I kept thinking of a very dear friend who has gone through that abuse herself, from within her family nucleus, and as she said, made her feel like an outsider in her own home. It made her accepting blame for what someone with evil intentions did to her!

When you know someone who is a victim of any crime, let alone one so heinous, it can come home to you, beat you up, and make you ashamed of your human race. It can dam you for not knowing about these evils sooner.

That lady stayed with me all afternoon, after the presentation, and I felt sickened that it happened to her. If you meet her, you would think how delightful she is, smiling and pleasant. But there is an underlining sorrow that she manages, and it should hurt anyone who knows her.

If there is a program being offered in your parish, school or organization, please, please go. Attend it with the intent that you can save a child from a trauma he/she may never recover from. I know you would not allow a child to be hit by a car, you would move yourself to do something, this is just as important!

Below, is a website unrelated to the above, but just as important.

http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom/index.HTML

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

There are some crimes that are very hard to forgive. Only Christian charity keeps me from saying what we should do to such people.