Tuesday, June 01, 2010

WHAT A DAY!


Today, as I sat behind my computer, I suddenly got an urge to not do anything. Surprisingly, that happens often, and today, I felt a need to get away from the computer.

When the day is in the 70’s and dry, with sunshine illuminating one’s mood, getting outside becomes very important. Meaning for a while to do some good old fashioned yard work, I grabbed my straw hat, put on a pair of old, torn jeans and a rake, and out I went, feeling very happy.

There is a sense of accomplishment, almost what I feel when I paint a picture or make a dish, that fills me when I work outside. I like to get my hands into the soil, immersing my fingers, feeling like this is what life should feel like, not the minor clapping of a keyboard. I don’t use gloves, like I don’t use tape in my painting or processors in my cooking, preferring to do everything by hand, feeling the art come to life like I am God himself!

There is no greater joy than creating something from the basic ingredients, and finishing it off as a thing of beauty. It is like a newborn child, arriving from the depths of its mother’s body, and giving great wonder and a joy to behold!

I guess the feeling of falling in love for the first time can be equated with the sense of being outdoors, and one with nature on these kinds of days. It doesn’t take a whole lot of tools to do, or great plans, just the love of it.

No comments: