Wednesday, July 21, 2010

WHEN IT RAINS

It was pouring tears the other day: mine! It seems that I have been having problems with my Internet connection, being knocked off and winding up using my neighbor TLC (The Lovely Carol)’s wireless instead, and not knowing it!

So after a few days of this aggravation, I call for technical support from my service provider. We go through everything and determine it is the router. My Airport router, which allows me to connect to the net wirelessly, was conking out, and guess what? Apple doesn’t support it anymore!

So I go to the Apple store and for $179, purchase a new router, bring it home and it does the same thing! Of course it does, it IS mine after all!

I call another techy from Apple this time who finally figures out that I installed it properly, but the instructions never mention to shut down the modem after the installation, so it is looking for the old router. I shut it down and reboot it and it works! But wait, it doesn’t end there! I decide, I want TLW (The Little Woman) to be able to send a document wirelessly to my printer from downstairs to my studio. Mr. Techy sets it up and I go downstairs to make the proper configurations in the preference folder on TLW’s laptop, and more trouble!

The laptop is an old version trying to communicate with a new system. I call a new Mr. Techy to have him tell me the service contract on the laptop has expired in 2006! Of course it did, shouldn’t it, after all, it is mine!

Techy: “You have two choices, one is to pay through the nose with a credit card that will fund my children’s education and enough vacations to Hawaii for me to be sick of them, or, you can take this website down and try yourself to work through it.

Well I take the later, and realize he has me looking at a newer version of the laptop system, and not the system it has! Mr. Techy is lost in cyber space! I try for a few hours to try to figure it out to no avail and decide: Tomorrow I go to the Genius Bar at the Apple store. Why? Because the laptop is refusing to work!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

I think they program built-in problems in all the software and hardware we buy. They come up at intervals so that they don't steal all our money at once. Good luck at the genius bar...better try the corner bar.