Friday, July 23, 2010

THE WORM TURNS

I was in the Apple store in the Smith Haven Mall the other night to talk to the techie at the Genius Bar. This is the only bar I know of where you make an appointment, but the good thing is the help is free.
Wading through a large crowd, mostly looking at I-phones, I-pads and I-pods, I felt out of place with my (I) laptop.

In this store that once gave pleasure to Apple geeks like me, who love the Apple system, are little girls all buying different colored I-products! Gone are the young guys with the t-shirts that said “Go F*#% Yourself” instead they were working the genius bar, giving old guys like me help.

I got nice kid named Chris, who looked like he should do a commercial or two for Apple. Very handsome, with a day growth on his face, not only drew my attention, but that of every young lady in the house!

At first as they started straddling the stools next to me on both sides, I thought maybe I’m in the ladies section, or worse, the teenager section, but no, they just wanted to be close to Chris. All had this hostile look at me for being the one to talk to him.

As Chris ran off while my machine was updating, I turned to one young lady and said: “You know, he is looking to settle down. I think these guys make a lot of money!” She had a cute smile, even with a mouth full of braces that must have her old man in the poor house by now. She looked away and giggled, while I said I would see what I could do for her. Her geek was more efficient than Chris who was still waiting on another customer while my machine continued to update its programs. She left with her mamma, I think reluctantly, and since her mamma was in a hurry, I wrote off all my help as a matchmaker.

As the evening wore on, I started to get a little anxious! I seemed like the store was starting to close in on me, and I couldn’t figure out why. Then I turned around as I noticed how louder it had gotten, and behind me was a sea of people! Too many were in that store for it to be safe, all were talking at once, all about the I-phone or I-whatever.

When I was finally finished, about an hour and a quarter later, I made a bee-line to the exit and took a deep breath. Down the way stood that young lady and her mother, at a kiosk. I decided, I better take the long way out.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MAUREEN AND ANGELA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
From the Sicilian Sister-In-Law

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
From the Sicilian Sister-In-Law