Saturday, August 28, 2010

HOLDING OUR PEACE

You could not ask for a better day weather-wise, than the day my nephew; The Macaroni Man and his lovely bride Kimberly tied the knot. Chris was giving up his ‘freedom’ and would now spend the rest of his life, serving his bride. But we don’t pity that, we congratulate that, for it seems that the love was there, the want and the will, all wrapped up in a white bow.
The bride was one of the prettiest I have seen and that was not surprising. Her radiance lit up the very dark church, making for a glowing group of well-wishers. My sister, MaryAnn looked like she could have been the bride, beautiful as ever and stunning in her dress, with a proud smile that told it all.

Of course, as you now know, little Al my great nephew almost stole the show, and maybe even the whole day! What amazes me is how happy everyone was for the couple. The brides Mom, no slouch herself in the looks department beamed the whole day, but I’m sure there was a sadness that pervaded the bride’s family, having lost Walter, the bride’s father just a few 8 or 9 months earlier. But somehow, I kept thinking of Walt, and maybe, just maybe he was looking down in pride, as was my brother-in-law Carl who had passed on ten years earlier.
But life does go on, and it did. Alexander will be a year old on September 9, the same day as my Dad’s birthday. He will insure the carrying on of the blood and life my grandmother started so many years ago, when she came to this great country as a 15 years old immigrant! My Mom, in her early 90’s, witnessed once again a grandchild married and another grandchild give birth, enriching not only her life, but all of ours as we witnessed the joy that day.
So Christopher, and Kimberly, hold on to each other, and never let go. Never see a dark cloud or a rainy day. Hold hands often for all your years and kiss, by God kiss, and don’t be afraid to. If you can say: “I love you” there is nothing else to say that will always say it all. Don’t be afraid to forgive, and don’t be afraid to laugh. And give it your all, 100%, but only of yourself to each other.

I hope you have children to bless your household, teach them that love is the greatest gift to give, and teach them that respect is a close second.

So congratulations, Kimberly and Christopher.

No comments: