Thursday, August 26, 2010

IT SUITS ME FINE


Leaving the church after my nephew had just married, I stood at the end of the walkway leading to the church entrance, and waited for the new married couple to appear. There, standing along with me and TLW (The Little Woman) was a whole host of well wishers including my brother-in-law, Tom.

Tom: “That suit you are wearing, definitely Mafia!”
Me: “That’s right, before I whack someone, I make sure they see something pretty when they depart this world. But YOU are wearing a nice suit, when you get it fitted, send me a swatch so I can give it to my tailor for a suggestion.”

Then to add to the observations, my other brother-in-law John made a comment about my suit before the reception. We were talking about the death of a certain Dominick, when he suggested that I was wearing the suit when died and thought it was time.

I of course would NEVER take liberties with their haberdashery proclivities, except to say that Tom, who borrowed his suit from his father many years ago, takes pride in the suit he’s been wearing for years, since his father only wore it once in 1932, at his wedding, before he gave it to Tom many years later. It is ideal summer wear now, although it was once used strictly in the winter!

As for John, he is very unique. He likes to surprise people, including himself, when he dresses. What he likes to do is when he shops for clothes for a wedding, he goes to Good Will, when there are sales, and has my sister blind-fold him. She then leads him to the jackets rack where he is allowed to pick out a jacket, then off to the pants rack, where the same technique is employed. Once he finishes by selecting a shirt blind-folded, he goes to the tie rack to complete the tradition. And that folks, is what John will wear that day to a wedding. In his book, uniqueness and originality count.

No comments: