Saturday, September 11, 2010

MADNESS


You know it breaks my heart that we are in a world so divided. We seem to fill our lives with self-righteousness and do it all in the name of God! We choose how to venerate, consecrate, and then denigrate. We forget we are all made of the same mold, the same particles, and under the same God. But we forget that.

Looking at the pictures of the people that fled the ashes that disastrous day in 2001, and I wonder how it came to be! I see Christian hate groups and Muslim hate groups, all with the same aims; show no tolerance. We trample on each other and cry foul when we get trampled on.

I don’t hate Muslims, or Jews or non-Christians, but I hate those people under any god they choose, that have no tolerance for the innocent, for the non-believers, for other ways to prayer, other than their own.

What I would love to see is an ecumenical council established under the auspices of the United Nations. It would be a moral authority that reaches consensus and establishes a code of ethics and moral principles, basic to all religions. It would help sway the fanatical segments of all the religious bodies in the world, so as to protect the innocent ones, the people that don’t go out in the name of God, Allah or whatever from coming to harm.


Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream words and music by Ed McCurdy
Last night I had the strangest dream I'd ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed To put an end to war
I dreamed I saw a mighty room Filled with women and men
And the paper they were signing said They'd never fight again
And when the paper was all signed And a million copies made
They all joined hands and bowed their heads And grateful pray'rs were prayed
And the people in the streets below Were dancing 'round and 'round
While swords and guns and uniforms Were scattered on the ground
Last night I had the strangest dream I'd never dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed To put an end to war.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

It's ironic that through the centuries so many wars have been fought over religious differences. If you don't worship my god I will kill you. Something seems out of kilter there.

Where have all the soldiers gone?Gone to graveyards everyone.
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I like your ecumenical council idea a lot.

-#1 Son