Friday, October 01, 2010

A GIFT OF LOVE

I have been fortunate in my years past to get all kinds of letters of appreciation, awards and recognition. It is kind of nice to get those kinds of things, but what I got recently in the mail will forever top them all.



If you read my blog on September 19th, I wrote about my best friend Phil, and our friendship together for over 45 years! In those years we grew as boys into men and lived our lives. Yesterday, I received a gift in the mail from Phil. It is something special for me, since I am a sentimental old fool anyway, and this kind of caps my life. At my age, to get this kind of sentiment from my old friend is a reward! It is a trophy, a recognition that goes to the center of my awards shelf, or trophy case, but clearly in the middle of my heart and soul. It is the highlight of my life in terms of people outside of my immediate family. That is not to say that Phil is not in my immediate family. After 65 years, to get this recognition is overwhelming.

The day I wrote the Blog, Phil called me to alert me that a package was coming, he hadn’t read the blog yet!

In the package I received was a photo album that has been put together for over 45 years. It is the story of our friendship. Someone has taken the time to say: Yes, you are my friend, and here is proof of its value to me.

It is very humbling to say the least, and most of all it is what anyone would want in the grey years of his life! I pity anyone who doesn’t have Phil as their friend.

No comments: