Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WILL SOMEONE COME TO ORDER! PLEASE.


Recently I held my first real organized meeting of the BHS Class of ’64 Reunion Committee, since our reunion in May. Most of the originals were in attendance, and I even went, since it was held in my house. This is their way of making sure I show up!

Our reunion was probably one of the most successful ever, and we did a lot of unique things, and it lasted over three days. All through the process of planning the reunion, I swore to myself that there would not be a reunion, because we were not getting anything done, or so it seems.

For over a year, committee meetings were held mostly at my house, around the dining room table, where coffee and cake was the order of the day. Conversations centered around: grandchildren and who is still alive from our graduation class. (I AM HAPPY TO REPORT, I AM STILL ALIVE, OR I FORGOT TO LIE DOWN) A lot of laughing and joking was the centerpiece of our method of discussion. We started in late August or early September, and ended them in May of the following year. Again, in all that time, I swore we would NOT have a reunion, because nothing was getting done! Well, obviously I was wrong! It turned out great as far as reunions go.

This time we decided we had so much fun organizing our reunion, let’s have more meetings, and someone came up with the idea of a cruise! We had our first meeting, and typically, there was enough cake to cause an epidemic of diabetes, stories about grandchildren and jokes to put Milton Berle to shame if he were alive today. (I am still alive, by the way)

As we broke up the meeting, I thought: “No way we get this off the ground!”
But, we decided on a date, a destination, a cruise ship and a cost, in just the first meeting! This is an amazing group of committee members!

No comments: