Friday, November 12, 2010

OOOOOH!!!

I woke up in the middle of the night, tears running down my face from a sinus infection. I wasn’t crying, just the eyes were so watery that I had to get up and go into the bathroom and get something for it. I had taken an antihistamine before going to bed, so I wasn’t prepared for this.

Struggling to get to the bathroom, my head was feeling particularly funny, like it was inside another head and was bouncing around. As I got to the bathroom, I looked into the mirror and was surprised. There in the mirror stood I, looking like what I felt like. I commented that I didn’t expect to see me in the mirror, since when I got up, I didn’t want to go anywhere.

After going back to bed, the fun began. Laying down I set my pillows so I raised my head a little, and pulled the blankets over me. Now, I don’t like to complain, but TLW is a blanket hog. For 40 years she’s been stealing my entire blanket allotments and using them while I sleep in a fetal position. Even the one-week in August when we don’t need blankets, she sleeps on top of them! That’s the truth, too.

I got up the next morning and started to talk to TLW (The Little Woman), when I couldn’t get the words out! I tried again, but nothing. I decided to practice what TLW trained me to do, that is, keep my mouth shut. But after 4o years of living with me, she said: “You have a cold?”

I shook my head in the affirmative.

“OK, here’s the plan. Don’t paint the ceiling today, just take it easy, and don’t cook tonight. You can make the marinade for the steak, but don’t make the salad, I don’t want your germs, I’m afraid of getting your cold!”

“Oh! What about for better or worse, and let’s not forget in sickness and health?”

“Just take it easy, I want enough time to check the insurance policy to see if we are all caught up on things, you know, just in case. Besides, you get the better and I get the worse! You want to talk about sickness and health, try carrying 4 children for 36 months!”

All an exaggeration, we all know she carries them one at a time, each for only 9 months!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of a story. One little boy attending a family wedding asked another "Do you know many times someone can get married?" The other little boy quickly answered with confidence "Sixteen". The first asked "How did you know that so fast?" The second answered,
"The priest just said "4 better, 4 worse, 4 richer & 4 poorer."
ss-i-l