Monday, January 10, 2011

CAN’T BE MUCH BETTER!



Or, how to really enjoy a football game!

As you know, #1 Son, Anthony, got me some tickets to see the NY Jets play at their new Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey. It has to be one of the best days of my life! I enjoyed every moment of it, and must say, as a Christmas present, it was really special.

We left the house early on a dreary foggy Sunday morning, and drove out to New Jersey in unbelievable time, arriving, as the tailgate parties were under way. If you have not ever witnessed this, it is something to behold. The people who do this do it eight times a year for the home games that are played. It is a cross between a picnic or bar b q and a bazaar.

Mostly SUV’s are parked perfectly straight in each space allotted for parking, with tables, chairs, bar b q devices of one kind or another, and tents, with flags and everyone arrayed in NY Jets attire, from scarves to coats, hats, shirts, pants and I’m sure, even underwear!

It is mostly a boy’s day out and a great excuse to eat and drink beyond reason, since it is 9:30 am! With games like beanbag tossing, and football, young and old have the time of their life! They visit other spots to chat and play games, like a mobile neighborhood, which stands for a moment’s time and then disappears after the final whistle of the game.

As we approached the monstrous arena they share with the NY Giants football team, the loyal legions on Jets fans line the path, with their tents and cooking smells attacking you. No one is eating fish, it is big old slabs of meat, baby! No fooling around. (Not that I noticed, anyway.)

Entering the stadium, we started to look for our section, which I figured was about two miles in the upper deck, but as we entered, it was standing in front of us! “Sec. 137” so it said. I looked at #1 and said: “There must be a mistake! We can’t be at our section just yet!” But oh yes we were, right on the 40 yard line, FIELD LEVEL!! Let me repeat that. 40-yard line, FIELD LEVEL. I had to ask one of the Buffalo Bills players to let me get by we were so close! Well maybe not, but we were close.

The game was exciting, since it was close until the end, when the Jets took over and ran up the score, killing Buffalo. I loved it!

Then to show my appreciation to a fine son, for a fine gift at Christmas, I treated him to the best restaurant in NYC for Chinese food. It is an establishment I frequented on business when I worked in NYC. Dining on white gloved service: the SHUN LEE DYNASTY got even better than I recalled, and so did their pricing!

It is nice to talk sports with your son, and to break bread, it is nice that he is getting married and we will not be able to do this as just father and son. Maybe I can live long enough to do it as Grandfather/Father and Son someday.

One of the best days of my life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best days of my life, too. I hope we do get to do it again sometime!

-#1 Son

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Sounds like a great day and I am glad you had fun! You deserve it!