Saturday, January 29, 2011

IT DOESN’T GET ANY LONGER!



It started out at 7:00 am, and didn’t end until 9:30 pm! A day that would rival all days, one of as they say in the army: “Hurry up and wait!”

Hitting the LIE to return #2 Son to Purchase, I swung up the Hutchinson River Parkway, where all was running smoothly until New Rochelle. There, where the highway divided north and south with some wooded area, until just where it ends, maybe 3 miles, I stopped along with every car in America. Dead in the snow, the snow drifting down almost surrealistic, peppering my car with no one moving, I sat in my car. Inching at about 2 to 4 mph, we would stop for 10 minutes, and then inch again, the road icing, the snow wet but continuous, a fear creeping in that the road would ice up enough to lose traction and hit someone, after having the side re-finished a week ago, from an accident! And so I waited in traffic, a 15 minute at the most, a 3-mile stretch, took me 2 whole hours!

Having asked repeatedly if #2 would go back to school the day before, he said he didn’t want to go back until the last day! He must find his parents charming. As I looked at him, he lay there, in the font seat, sound asleep. You really can’t kill someone when they are sleeping, because it takes all the fun out of it.

I finally deposit sleeping beauty at school, and now have to get to another appointment, and it is after 10 am! My appointment is at 12:30 pm from the dealership of the used car I was about to pick up. “Please be here at 12:30 pm, so we can give you time to test drive and us time to inspect and clean the car, before the final paperwork” said the gentleman who sold me the car. But I must get to the WANNA-BE Bank and Truss Company to get my old car to trade in, and pick up some papers to finish the deal. I arrive at the WANNA-BE Bank and Truss Company, and get what I need, trading off cars with TLW (The Little Woman) who expected me back hours ago, and was in a state of near panic. (After all, I did have her car, too!)

Jumping into my old car, I go home, pick up the title for the trade-in and the check, and make it at exactly 12:30 pm!

“Thank you for coming on time, let me check with the guys to see about your car,” says Joe, the salesman.

He comes back: “It will be a few minutes, we have a little backup, want some coffee?”

Annoyed that I have to wait after rushing all morning in a traffic jam, I go to the coffee machine, and get some coffee. I also see some rather large cookies, (chocolate chip), help myself to one, and stop and think: “These bastards said 12:30, it is now 12:50, this will cost them another cookie.” I can feel TLW reprimanding me for the extra cookie, the fact that I didn’t ask for one first, and the fact that I used that language!

I go sit and wait, and wait, and wait. The salesman keeps apologizing, and I am getting really annoyed so I eat the other cookie. My plan: get another cookie if they don’t get a move on it!

It is 2:20 pm when the car is finally ready, except I have to wait. Yes, that is correct, wait. They now have to clean it. And how will they clean it? They will take it to the carwash!

As I finally leave, at 3:00 pm from COMPETITION SUBARU, I think: The only competition they have is with themselves, and they are losing.

It is now 3:30 when I get home. I have one hour to get ready for my board of director’s meeting. That meeting starts at 6:30 pm, but I scheduled a meeting prior to that one for 5:00 pm! It is a Personnel and Policy By-Laws committee joint meeting with the Executive Board to go over how we would handle policy down the road. A laborious and trying meeting, when you want to do it right, pleasing everyone (20 some odd members), and not make the thing your policy, but the agencies.

We go into the regular board meeting at 6:30 pm and that doesn’t end until 9:30, with forever reports and a great deal of discussion about my membership committee report being the center of it all.

No comments: