Friday, February 04, 2011

“COME GROW OLD WITH ME, THE BEST IS YET TO BE”


How I wish I could believe that!

Today I sat in the eye doctor’s office waiting for him to appear. His assistant had just placed some drops in my eyes and told me the eyes had to dilate before the doctor could look at them.

As I sat waiting, I could look out the door into the rest of the office, and watched a very old couple go into a room together, he holding her by her hand, leading, and she was dragging behind a single post walker.

It made me sad to see this, since all I could think of was how they must have met, flirted maybe and then married. He was always leading, and she was always following. Then maybe they took turns at leadership, until one day they discovered they were old, their family gone and perhaps a child or two even ignoring them, disliking them, as well as those that love.

What was even sadder was the fact that she now was relying on him just to move from one place to another. This once vital couple, who had the whole world in front of them, ready to conquer it as a team of lovers, parents and partners in life, sharing their own demise, slowly, but lovingly.

Then I thought some more, and stopped feeling so sorry for them, after all, they still had each other, still lived, however so poorly, or even grandly. I think of how so many couples part ways, either through death, or divorce and never live a full chapter of the life they planned.

So I have to wonder what the best will be, since I know I have to face all those days myself some day, and so do my family and friends. But if we live a long time, we will all have one thing we own, which is unique and singular, yet invisible to anyone else but those we share with, and that is our memories.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful blog Joe. Probably one of the nicest you have ever written.