Tuesday, February 01, 2011

IT’S BEGINING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS!


Or so it seems, as I look out on my street, buried deep in snow, and all the Christmas decorations still on the homes because no one can get at them.

When you realize how crazy that is, over a month after the holiday, they remain up! That is how much snow we have had, enough to paralyze us to the point that we need to make contingency plans just to live our lives.

As a result of our new weather program of a storm a week, the snow is piled high, we can’t see around a corner in our cars, and we can’t be certain what is under our feet. All the romantics out there, the ones who wanted a white Christmas, now have it, a LONG white Christmas, which looks like it will stay another two weeks!

It is so bad, I feel like baking cookies and walnut bread, doing a little shopping, and looking forward to a nice Christmas Eve dinner.

My neighborhood is a great place to be in a snowfall, because we all come out and help each other dig out. When you are my age, which is really appreciated, as much as the pains from shoveling aren’t.

The other morning while we were getting an overdose of the white stuff, (The weathermen promised us 6 to 8 inches, and we got 12 to 14) I woke up at 4:30 am to discover TLW (The Little Woman) out in the driveway shoveling, instead of waking me up! Getting out of my warm and comfortable bed, I got quickly dressed and went out into the cold, and dreary grayness of the morning and with the snow powder caressing my face, took the shovel from her and began to dig out.

From this experience I have discovered that I can predict with certainty when I need to get up. If I wake up in bed warm and comfortable, I need to get up to shovel snow, or if I am really relaxed and comfortable in my easy chair, the dog needs to go out, I must get up!

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

The next guy who tells me how beautiful snow is will get beaten within an inch of his life. (If its a woman I'll give her a really dirty look.)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Utica, NY.
SS-I-L