Thursday, February 03, 2011

MEET THE GEEK

Today was ‘Meet The Geek Day’ a day that is dedicated to purchasing a laptop so I can conduct my business a little more efficiently. To do that I needed to go to the Apple store in the Smithhaven Mall, in where else but Lakeville, NY.

Entering the store at about 9:30 am, not too many people are in there. That is to say that they could all stand with certainty, and no one was in the need to marry anyone else because it is so crowded as is usually the case!

I walk up to a machine that caught my eye and start my search. I look up and jump out of my skin. There standing next to me, without introduction or warning stood Thomas, your friendly Apple geek, a smile on his face and a question for me.

“Hi! I’m Thomas, can I help you with something?”

“Well Thomas, now that you are here, yes you can. I need to purchase a laptop.”

“Good, very good, do you have anything in mind?”

“Yes, your cheapest one available, I understand they start at $999, from what I’ve read.


In my mind I want to say, “Well Mr.Thomas, I’m spending a thousand bucks, so I need it to play games and to push buttons, it must have buttons.”
But no I say: “I am a designer by trade, and need to show clients pdf’s of work I do for them. Can you show me anything?”

“Well sir, (holding out his hand to shake that as well as the shake down he will perform later, and you are…?)

“Joe”



“OK, you will probably need a much larger machine for the web.”

“No I won’t, because I don’t do web anymore.”

“Oh! You don’t do web anymore! Are you an educator?”

“No, I just design advertising in print, will you still talk to me?”

Rubbing his hands together, he begins to deliver a sales pitch on why I need a bigger machine.



Thomas may have to die, if I am to get out of this store, unless of course he gives me what I want and doesn’t make me feel bad about not buying what he recommends.

I finally convince him he needs to give me what I want, unless he plans to pay for it and he seems somehow to see my logic clearly. But hold on, I did get the lifetime guarantee, but I’m afraid I got it for my lifetime, and not the laptop’s!

1 comment:

Steve Philp said...

Surprised Thomas didn't hit you with: "Print?! They still do that?!"