Sunday, February 13, 2011

STICK ‘EM UP, IT’S THE PLUMBER!


We have been living with a leaky faucet for a little while, and I have been too busy to fix it. The other day, TLW (The Little Woman) called from the Wanna-be Bank and Truss Company to tell me to call the plumber already!

I decided to call asap, since the order came down from even higher than God! I dial the number, and I get a recorded message, telling me that the plumber will get back to me. I figure he’s out on the highway, holding someone up with his mask and revolver.

Suddenly, the phone comes alive, and who is it but the plumber himself.

“What’s wrong?”

“Leaky faucet.”

“Can I come tomorrow?”

“Can you make it in the afternoon, I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning. (Another prima donna).

“I’m going skiing tomorrow, can I come now?”

Getting up off the ground, I steady myself and say: “Yes!”

Robin Hood pulls up and enters, and even my dog “Happy” (Remind me to rename her) starts to bark. Looking over the faucet, he tries to unscrew the neck of the faucet, and after numerous tries, decides I need a new faucet.

“ I can’t unscrew it, you need a new faucet!”

“Why did I know that before you even came?”

“Can I use your toilet?”

“Be my guest”, as I become suspicious he will screw something up for me to have to call him to fix it in the future.

‘Cynical’ is my middle name.

What should have been a simple fix, a charge of $2, became $450 worth of repairs, between the new faucet, a Moen no less, and his time and labor. He also used a whole roll of paper towels and asked if I had more! In spite of this, I didn’t charge him.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Leaky faucet, unscrewed...you, screwed.

jonesalbert said...

I really enjoy reading through on this web site, it has great content.

Plumber Prahran