Wednesday, February 23, 2011

TURNING UP/DOWN THE HEAT


Recently I wrote a blogue about having trouble in bed. I even called it: “Trouble in Bed”, and I am proud of myself that I did. I mean I had the title and the story right. Anyway, someone wrote a comment: “JOE, GET THAT ELECTRIC BLANKET THAT HAS DUAL CONTROLS. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MIX THE CONTROLS UP.” It was signed – Anonymous

That comment takes me back many years ago when TLW (The Little Woman) and I went to Connecticut to visit my sister Fran. Fran graciously gave us her bedroom to sleep in that night, so we would have room for our two little children at the time, in a couple of portable cribs.

That night when we decided to retire we choose sides as to which side of the bed would be occupied by whom. TLW decided to take the left side, and because she did, I decided to think about it, and take the left side. It was a nice bed, comfortable, and had dual controls for a heating blanket, a his/hers potential for bedtime bliss.

Or so I thought!

That night, since I like the room cool, I lowered my side of the blanket with the control switch I had. TLW, who likes blankets even in August, likes things hot, (You think she married me because I’m hot?) As the night progressed, I felt like yesterday’s dinner tonight, just popped into the microwave. TLW on the other hand was looking like an ice cube tray, frozen in about 12 parts! I took the control and lowered it some more while TLW raised her some more. The more I lowered the more I heated up, the more she raised it, and the colder she stayed.

Finally after much complaining about the cold and equal complaining about the heat, a truce was established, she gave me her control, and I gave her mine! A whole night of freezing and sweating in bed, and not once thinking that we had each other’s control to make things better!

There is a lesson in all this boys and girls: stay home.

No comments: