Sunday, March 27, 2011

TESSIE GETS OLDER!



As the oldest child growing up in Brooklyn, Tess, or Tessie as I call her, was more like a second mother to me. She was as a very young girl, or should I say child, very responsible, and was always there for me. She was a great older sister that looked after me, took me to school on my first day, bought me chocolate milk and cookies, and made sure I was settled down in Kindergarten. On Saturday afternoon, it was off to the Colonial Theatre for a double feature, cartoon and candy, and it was Tess who took me there for the first time.

She was a little old lady, who could cook, clean and boss me around with the best of them, and did it quite well! All her basic training came at my expense, but she never let me down. When there were bad times, she was there to help me understand them, when there were good times, they were all mine, even though she celebrated with me.

It seemed to me all my childhood that she was there for me, for the family, cheerfully doing what was necessary to help us survive as children in a grownup world, where the demands were for us to be adult like, yet know our place as children.

Often, together, Tessie and I would go to NYC to buy cigarettes and candy for my Dad’s store on Fulton Street, riding the subways to get there, or off to the meat market for Mom for the weeks worth of meats. I spent many a Saturday at Spinner’s Supermarket helping her shop for Mom, and she did this all by herself, barely 9 or 10 at the time!

She never complained, did what she was told to do, looked out for me, and I truly love her for all she did for me. I haven’t forgotten it, and never will.

Tess, Theresa, have the best darn birthday you could possibly have, and remember I love you like a brother should, you are still the best!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THERESA!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Happy Birthday Theresa. (Joe: Where was your father's store on Fulton Street?)