Tuesday, March 22, 2011

THEY DON’T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO!

Many years ago, when men were men and boys were boys, I served as an altar boy, for my parish church. All the servers were boys, and that was the way it was.



That has all changed! All the altar boys are now girls in my parish of today! Not only that but they are under 3 feet tall! We had this Nigerian priest who is well over 6’5”, and this tiny altar server one Sunday past!

I brings me back to my day as a server, when boys were bays and now old men. They stuck me on the altar with three other seasoned servers for my first time. I stood there not sure, worried, with a headache worry over screwing up the Latin responses, and when to do what.



On top of all that, there out in the church stood all my relatives, attending the first Mass of the future blogger. Of the guest that Sunday morning stood my Grandmother Frances, regal and more holy the Pope, proudly watching in her attendance! Even Dad went that morning, where he sat next to my grandmother and had to pay attention. Grandma, the matriarch of the family had journeyed from the holy grounds of Our Lady of Loretto, Brooklyn, to St. Joseph The Worker in East Patchogue, to give significance to the historical (actually it was hysterical) moment in my pathetic life!

So the times they are a-changing my friends. You can’t get boys to serve anymore because there are little girls on the altar. Is the day of married priests or women priests far behind?

No comments: