Saturday, April 09, 2011

THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR

Yes, there really is such a thing as an absent minded professor, and I ought to know, I work with him!

As you know by now, I am designing a book in collaboration with the author, a professor at a local college. It has been an ongoing project since 2009, and I am becoming punch-drunk from the experience.



The professor is a nice enough guy, always pleasant, laughs at himself, and is very intelligent and I enjoy his company, working with him is another matter!

He usually sends me a manuscript that I flow into my design program, and then he gets a copy of the design to make corrections where he has typos. This is ok, but he forgets I sent him updates and corrects old versions, causing me to look for things I don’t need to look for!



Recently he called me one afternoon, late in the day to talk some changes and said he would send me some new manuscripts to add to the book and change some pages with. HE was looking at old files, and I was looking at all updated material. As it is his desk is filled with papers, books, pens, pencils and photos, just like mine is, and his computers have files all over his desktop! Old and new updated files are on his desktop, and all too often he picks up the wrong ones, sending me into fits and frustration and dismay to say the least.

He said he would send me two files as attachments, they came and they were the wrong files! OK Professor, send them again! In they come, just as wrong as the first two! I suggested he get his act together, plan out what he was sending me and once he was all together, call me to discuss.

11:30 at night I get new files, guess what?

No comments: