Saturday, May 28, 2011

I NEED A BREAK!


Years ago, when I had a large appetite, going out to eat was an enjoyable time, no matter how many successive times I did it in a row. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all eagerly awaited for, planned and anticipated with relish. (Good, huh?)

Then the future came, the pay back time, where I started to notice I always had company in the mirror. At first I thought we had company, then realized it was all me, and only me in that mirror!

As I became more affluent, and dined out more frequently, I suddenly changed my pangs of hunger to pangs of guilt. I would look at the menus, see veggies and low-fat items, THEN: go to the steaks and chops. I was becoming more conscious and health minded, I was feeling the guilt. Then one day I decided to deal with my guilt, and I must say, very successfully! I stopped looking at the veggies and low-fat, and went directly to the steaks and chops.

There is a lesson in all this boys and girls: You can overcome anything in life, with the right attitude, the right frame of mind and always, always be prepared to avoid the veggies and low-fat sections of the menus.

Lately, when I go out too often, I start to wish I was eating at home, where there is no overload of salt, where I look at the food and think: “I can make this for a lot cheaper!” I guess going out is good once in a while, but if that is the case, then maybe someone should invent a place, where you can bring your own food, and dine on it outside the home, besides your kitchen or patio.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

It's ironic Joe that when we finally come to that stage of life when we can afford to indulge our food fantasies, our bodies won't let us. Just eat like the old Italians...lots of pasts, greens, beans and a glass of wine or two. And keep the Beano handy. Bon Appétit.