Monday, May 02, 2011

MA QUANDO?


Whenever Mom would get impatient with something, she would blurt out in Italian: “Ma quando?” meaning “But when?”

As I look about me, I see all kinds of things I am doing, in my retirement and wonder, the same thing, ma quando? If I am retired, I need to job so I can start taking it easy in my old age.

It seems that once things quiet down, I either go looking for something more to do, or it finds me! I get rid of a book for publishing, (almost) and a men’s store needs a web site designed! I swear off one thing and it comes back in another form!

I sit in board meetings, I hear that something needs to be done, my juices start to flow and I need to do it myself, take on another committee or start some kind of movement. The busyness generates an excitement that fuels my day, and I become very happy.

I have also started a business with an old classmate that is fascinating, exciting and a lot of fun. I have so much planned that I want to sing and dance through my day, just on the strength of my schedule. It is nice to be needed.

So I guess I’m not retiring any time soon, and as for Mom, when she uttered those words, I usually had to march off to my room to clean it, or there would be a connection with my head and her wooden spoon!

No comments: