Thursday, June 09, 2011

FOR WHOM THAT BELL TOLLS?


The trip to the vet was tense. TLW (The Little Woman) was holding Happy as I drove. Entering the animal hospital, it all came back to me, the visits, controlling her, her shaking whenever we came. Happy took her time as we headed toward the door, and left a little deposit, and I applauded her, thinking if I went to this, I’d want to voice my opinion too! Upon entering, she was very quiet, hiding her head like an ostrich, as we waited.

There were other people in the waiting room, all laughing, and chatting, and I wondered how they could do that on such a horrific occasion?

Finally the time came, the aide came out and asked us questions, hard ones, that needed an answer, and all that could come out was the shell of a word, a breath, a whisper. The doctor was a young man, very reassuring, and very calm. He seemed to understand what I needed, what TLW needed, what we needed.

I lifted Happy onto the table for a process that would take 30 seconds. 30 seconds would separate us forever, I would lose a little love in my life, something that is hard to find, forever. Happy watched the doctor as he shaved her front leg, clearing the skin for the needle that would put her out of her misery, but start mine again, once more. I could not help but remember that trip home, the first time we met her, they put her in a red and white striped box, TLW holding the box in the front seat, as she playfully popped out of the cover, jumping around, and here I was, doing this.

She searched the doctor’s face, as he finally applied the fluid, her eyes just staring at the doctor, not knowing what was happening, not resisting, not knowing. Suddenly she was on her side, falling off to a sleep that would carry her away from us forever.

If you come to my home, and see a bell hanging near the door to the yard, it tolls for Happy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry Joe and Ellen. One of the hardest things I had to do last year with Cowboy.

Mary Ann said...

My heart breaks for you. I thought of you two all day yesterday!

xo

Corinne said...

We're so sorry for you both but know that Happp will once again be "happy" in doggie heaven.
Love
Corinne & Douglas

Jim Pantaleno said...

Hard decision but it was the right thing to do for your dog. Celebrate the "Happy" years together.

Carol said...

Dear Ellen & Joe, I know it was a very hard decision to make. Like you, I knew once I made that decision I couldn't change my mind. I had to keep reminding myself that quaslity of life is more important than my selfish in keeping Maxi longer. Always remember what makes you sad now, once brought you joy.

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Ellen. You both were very lucky to have had her as long as you did and
Happy was one very lucky dog. It will be difficult for a while but time will ease the pain a little.
With love always Pat and Bill

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe, it's been so long since I've checked your blog, and on occasion I would check specifically about Happy, when I'd see a recent blog, I'd sigh and think, oh good, she's still with them. Then I'd giggle at the blog you'd written. So here I am today and thought let me check. I'm so saddened by your lose. It hits close to home because Spin and I are going through this decision with our beloved Tokie cat who is 18yr3mo. Please know I'm giving you both a big hug.

Love, Jan/PCH

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe and Ellen,
I want to give you the biggest hug right now. Losing a pet is so difficult. Happy was a wonderful girl who will be in your heart forever. I know the decision was difficult, but you made the right choice. If Happy could tell you, I'm certain she would be thankful for the wonderful life you gave her, all the love, hugs, and lettuce! Your "grand-doggies," Linus and Daphne, send you kisses from California. With lots of love and understanding,
-Courtney