Tuesday, June 07, 2011

WE ALL LOSE A WONDERFUL GAL


WITH A HEAVY HEART

Yesterday, June 6th, I got some very bad news.

Almost a year ago to the day I wrote about a lovely lady from high school that I reconnected with at the reunion. I wrote on June 12, 2010 in my blog:
http://delbloggolo.blogspot.com/search?q=Marlene

We all have to face the grim reality that there is an end, and no matter how we prepare for it, either our own or someone else’s, we never can deal with the finality of it all. Marlene Fox Strong was ill, very ill, we all prayed for her, we all knew what was in store for her, but we prayed in hope and the belief that nothing was certain, maybe something good would occur from our prayers.

Marlene knew we knew, I wrote to her asking how she was doing, but got no reply. She didn’t want anyone to know how she was doing, because she wasn’t doing well. She took her own demise with quiet dignity and taught us all a lesson in life: What you need to give is the sunshine, not the clouds of life.

I realize now just how wonderful a thing the reunion we had was. Since that reunion a number of us have passed on. But before they did they reconnected with their classmates and together we built some new memories. They childhood and teenage years are filled with life and joy, the memories won’t fade, they will just play on. These newer memories, built in just the last year are the bitter sweet memories of age, of reconnecting, and of wiser minds, still young in spirit.

I cherish all my classmates now, more than when I was in high school. We are a group that tries to get together as often as possible, and a love is growing that no one can take away from us. Since May of 2010 we have met for bar-b-q’s and a reunion in April down in Florida. We are having a cruise in the end of August and another bar-b-q in a week or two.

We the class of ’64 Bellport High School say goodbye to Marlene, she has left memories in our hearts, we have not lost her so much as she has made us conscious of her and each other. We thank you for that Marlene, you will not be missed, but always loved and remembered.



LIKE GIVING BIRTH!

Only more painful! I got a call from the copywriter, and professor that the book I design for almost 2 years was in. Could I come over and get a copy?

Hmmm? Let me think about it for a moment. How about right away?

And so I went to claim my copy of my child. A proud moment in literature, and sweeping triumph for design, and a glorious day for all free lancers everywhere!

After working late into the night, over tedious graduate lists, faculty and reference, (The actual design was easy, it’s the copy proofing and reading that kills one) the book was done!

No more squeezing type together to make it look right, no more looking for photos, references and reading and re-reading the same old copy, looking at the same old pages, time and time again, we were done.

Seeing it for the first time, my chest swelled, the rich gold lettering, jumping from the royal blue cloth it was stamped on. A tear was beginning to form in the corner of my eye, I soon realized: I should have charged more!

As I quickly scanned through the book, looking at the placement of the photos, a tear was beginning to form in the corner of my eye, I soon realized: I should have charged more!

Going through it page by page, looking at all the beautiful type styles, color and elements in place, I soon realized: a tear was beginning to form in the corner of my eye, I should have charged more!

I thought of all the money I did charge, and the fact that TLW (The Little Woman) would be taking her cut, a tear was beginning to form in the corner of my eye, I soon realized: I should have charged more!

I get the feeling I should have charged more! Really!

But, my baby was born, it just that I should have charged more. Darn it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Joe!!! Congrats but you
should have charged more. Princess Pat

Jim Pantaleno said...

Hey Joe, its a book for Podiatrists...you should have charged by the foot.