Thursday, June 30, 2011

TAKE ME OUT OF THE BALLGAME

I got a call one day from my brother-in-law Dennis, TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) younger brother, inviting me to go to a ballgame with him and my nephew Matt. Being a die-hard Mets fan (I die a little bit after each game) I said: “Yes!”

We agreed to meet at Citi Field ballpark in front of the stadium by the big ‘Home Run’ Apple at 5:30 pm. Arriving at the ballpark I find a parking lot and pull in, rolling down my window to pay.

“That will be $19.00, please.”

“HOW MUCH!”

“That will be $19.00, please.”

“But I’m not paying for the guy behind me, just my car.”

“That will be $19.00, please.”

Things are changing; you’d think they would wear a mask if they want to hold you up. I know that things are bad financially for the owners of the Mets with the Bernie Madoff suit, but don’t try to balance your books in one day!

After some shock treatment, I proceeded to park and went to meet everyone at the big apple, where I watch untold numbers pose for picture taking. It is a wonderful thing to watch people make fools of themselves, kind of makes me feel I’m not alone.

I must say the neighborhood does draw a bad element, mostly people from Philadelphia in their Philadelphia Phillies jerseys, some posing in front of the apple and holding their throats in a choking fashion. Funny, how the Mets always lose in the late innings, the apple does take on more meaning when it does come to choking!

Today ballparks are very expensive, a soda is $4.50, and a frank over $6 and beer requires proof of age and a second mortgage, not to mention the cost of admission. I was going to buy a souvenir after the game, but my upset stomach and disgust with the team was enough to bring home from the game.

It was a nice night to watch a ballgame, unfortunately only the Phillies showed up to play, the Mets came for the buffet after the game and their paychecks. My brother-in-law looked relaxed and laid back, and my nephew Matt looked like he was having such a good time, I almost reminded him he was watching the Mets, but didn’t want to spoil his mood.

For years the Mets fans would complain about their old ballpark, Shea Stadium being so drab and uninteresting, so when they decided to build a new playground, thy had the architect do it blind-folded, creating some very interesting and meaningless configurations for the playing field.

If you are tired of life, wish to punish yourself, or just don’t like to have any money, then I suggest you try a Mets game at Citi Field, you’ll be sad you went.

No comments: