Friday, July 08, 2011

BLACKBERRY, I-POD AND WHATEVER

I went to a party last month that celebrated a graduation from college by a young lady in her early 20’s. She went through school under very trying circumstances, and so TLW (Te Little Woman) and I wanted to celebrate her success.

The party guests were for the most part, her family and friends who were in their early 20’s. These young people were having a good time, but life today is peculiar, when you see what they do.



On the dance floor, the young ladies all dance with their drinks in their hands! This is from the fact that when they go to a nightclub, they don’t want their drinks to be drugged! Can you image what life has turned into; that women have to fear being drugged? This society is sick and getting sicker.

Then there is the ever-present hand held device that threatens all the things that we used to take for granted. The young women all seemed to own on, and all were using them, all at once!

I find it disturbing when people have conversations and don’t look you in the eye when they talk, as they are staring into their little devices. As their fingers flip and swipe, they stare into their toy, leaving me fascinated about how fast they text these messages and don’t get eye strain, neck problems and/or killed by inattentiveness.

To make matters worst, one Sunday TLW took me to church, and sitting in front of me, during the service is this young man. In his hand is one of these devices, and I could tell he was texting and checking his email! In church! Checking email!

I know: “Get over it Joe, that is how things are today!”

So from this device we have: Lost eye contact, can’t make conversation, can’t write in script anymore, and are losing our faith to the electronic gods!

Who ever said that computers are a good thing?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a great deal of irony that these complaints are being made by someone writing a "blog" on a computer.

-#1 Son

P.S. Nice speech at the wedding, by the way. I'm still choked up. Seriously.

Laura ESL Teacher said...

As much as I enjoy little gadgets, checking your email or texts in church is a tad much. Unless Jesus has a web page I don't know about...

Jim Pantaleno said...

www.waterintowine.com

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

Dear #1 Son, I write in the privacy of my home, not at a party or in a church. I see no irony. If someone speaks with me while I write, I look at them and respond.When at church I pray for a quick end to the sermon, and at parties for another Jack Daniels Manhattan,that is as it should be. I always look people in the eyes when at parties even after a couple. I might strain a little, but I look.

Anonymous said...

It's not this post specifically, but the general humor of someone complaining about technology while using a new technology.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

I don't think I'm complaining about technology, just its inappropriate use in certain circumstances.