Saturday, July 16, 2011

I WUZ DINKING


I notice that as a whole, we seem to applaud everything these days. Someone sings well, we applaud because he or she sounded so nice. One of those needy ballplayers hits a homerun and we applaud. Of course some things we applaud to silently, like a great book, a piece of art, and great meal in a restaurant, but in our minds we are applauding.

Why?

I mean, what was done you or I may not be able to do so well, but what WE do is never applauded! That singer, needy ballplayer, and chef have that talent, it comes natural. Why congratulate them for what they can do naturally? I went into the Wanna-Be-Bank and Truss Co. the other day, and a teller was behind the barrier counting out bills. Not one person, including me applauded! I thought of Pat the Princess of Foxwoods Points, shelling out the cash, down to the pennies; does she get applauded as she works at the Wanna-Be-Bank? NO! Do they when she counts out her draw at the end of her shift get applauded if she is even? NO! Be short, Pat, and you will get an awful lot of attention! My point is: she did something that took more than natural ability: it took patience, time, care and dedication.

How many of you wished you were at least appreciated for what you do, a little more? OK, we have Mother’s Day, designed originally to honor mothers once a year. Actually they deserve more than that, they should be applauded all year long, and long after they are gone for what they do. Dads, they work everyday, worry about their families, try to set a good example, and like me, try not to swear out loud in front of the kids, one lousy day! ONE LOUSY DAY A YEAR! And what happens on Father’s Day? I’ll tell you what; they send him outside to bar-b-q, that’s what!

I was dinking. Why do we cry when someone dies? I mean he lived his life for whatever number of days on this earth. People got to know him, break bread with him, chatted, played and even fought with him or her. Rather than the morbidity of crying, why not give him instead a big round of applause for living?

1 comment:

Princess Pat said...

Thanks for the recognition and applause Joe. I ask Lois almost
everyday why I work at the Wanna Be
Bank and Truss Co. and she says
"Because I Love It". Oh yeah. I forgot!!!