Monday, July 11, 2011

IS IT POSSIBLE?

It’s strange how our pets can condition us. Happy has been gone for over a month by now, yet I can still feel her presence in the house.

TLW (The Little Woman) too feels the same strange phenomena that I do. Something seems to be going on. One Saturday, during the course of my day, I thought I could clearly hear the sound of Happy, lapping her water from her dish. When I did, at first I didn’t think about it, then it occurred to me as I pictured her on that table in the vets that horrific day.



TLW the very day said she thought she heard the sound of her paws on the tile floor, as if she was coming from a nap to investigate what was happening in the kitchen, something she always did.

Coming home from shopping one morning, TLW said she expected to see Happy at the door, waiting for her, and I have entered the house, looking for her, so I wouldn’t step on her, as she was always under foot.




We are still trying to get over the idea that if we sit down to eat or even rest, that Happy would shake us up by ringing her bell, making us having to get up to let her out. Sometimes she did it to just get a treat, making us so angry.

I don’t know if it was the fact that Happy was on a time-table, or we were just well trained by her, with a conditioned reflex, but I think she reversed the tables on us all, and Dr. Pavlov!

1 comment:

Princess Pat said...

I know exactly how you both feel.
It's tough losing a good friend.
Even years later I sometimes still
feel their presence.