Tuesday, July 12, 2011

WHAT THE?????


It happened often, not that I really minded, just that the surprise could be overwhelming. Of course if I had a clue it was the first day we met, I was tending my lawn and he came over and introduced himself.

“Hi, welcome to the neighborhood.” On a bright and warm Saturday morning, his red hair surpassed only by his electric personality, he welcomed me. It would be the start of a off again on again friendship, governed only by sight. To this day, while we no longer live across the street from each other, we still manage through the Wanna-Be-Bank and Truss Co and TLW (The Little Woman) who works there and he banks there, to get together.

Bud is a kind of person who is to say the least: “Outgoing” no matter if he is coming or going. Happily married with two married children and a grandchild, his conversations now center around them. Years ago they centered over hockey. Bud would drive down from somewhere like Buffalo all day, arrive late, put on his hockey clothes and go out to play deck or ice hockey from 11:00 pm until whenever it ended the next morning.

But none of what I just relayed is surprising, that was Bud.

One night, I was sitting at my dinner table, my two older kids were maybe 12 and 11 and we were having a pleasant conversation. I suddenly had a sense of some presence in the room. As I cut into my pork chop, a shadow casts itself across my plate. Not moving my head, not looking I just knew.

Bud. He had walked in, unannounced, and was standing over me! Without loosing a moment he just joined us! Funny thing is I liked him because he is sincere, outgoing, and trusting, and even grabbed a baseball bat when I had a run-in with a nut case in the neighborhood one fourth of July

No comments: