Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WHAT’S ALL THE FUSS?

I’ve been following the controversial bill in the NYS Assembly on Gay Marriage. I can’t for the life of me understand why everyone is so polarized about something that will: not increase my taxes, doesn’t require me to walk far, there is no heavy lifting involved, and I still get to eat!

What is equally confounding is why it should bother anyone else, when we are all in the pursuit of happiness. I mean there is nothing worse than unhappy people because they are told they can’t do something. Who is deciding what can or cannot be? Sometimes I think the biggest cause of trouble and unhappiness in this world is the people who like to interpret the Bible. We understand the concept of marriage is between a man and a woman. We can marry two ideas, we can marry car parts to a frame, and we can marry just about everything except people of the same sex!

The people, who interpret the Bible or the Koran, seem to become very rigid in there interpretation. Right now, in some states, there are same sex marriages being practiced as I write this. The only effect it has on this piece is that it is a topic. No one is hurt by it, including those who wish to not recognize it, and frankly, what is the relevancy of their opinion on the existence of these marriages? However, this same rigidity can cause people to kill themselves in the name of Allah or God, kill others in the name of God, and no one seems to remember the crusades, and what that did.

What has happened throughout history is the unwillingness to mind or own business, when things go wrong, blame someone or some other group the reason for the failing. (Reference a certain Mr. Hitler)

I neither oppose nor condone homosexuality, I believe it is a natural occurrence, and as such it becomes a non-issue in my or anyone else’s life, except for those who are homosexuals, seeking other homosexuals. You can’t cure homosexuality nor can you cure a heterosexual, so what the hell is everyone so excited about allowing a minority the chance to live in happiness, and accord with the rest of the world?

Is it not bad enough that people who are homosexual must or have had to hide it all their lives. Many have had to live a lie, because of fear, many think they are cursed or there is something wrong with them, so they spend their lives in deep depression and despair. Finally the world is starting to become aware of how unfair this all is, and we want to continue the misery, hold people down from happiness.

How sad!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 1000%. I commend your open-mindedness. Too bad everyone didn't share your view on this topic. Thank you for an excellent blogue post!
-Courtney (TLC)

Anonymous said...

Here here. Nice post.
-#1 Son

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Well said!

Arlene said...

Joe, if everyone thought like you what a wonderful world this would be. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I agree.