Sunday, August 07, 2011

REBOOT ME SCOTTY!

OK, I do complain a lot, but sometimes it is justifiable. One morning in July I came down stairs from my shower to get a cup of coffee, poured it and went into the den, where TLW (The Little ‘Woman) sat reading a newspaper.



“Joe-my laptop computer said that something happened to the Internet or some thing and the modem needs to be rebooted! It seems the TV went down and then came back up again! I can’t get on the internet. You try.”

Resolving to kill myself since it was so early in the am, I thought that the day was starting off badly. Back up I go to my little hideout from the world where the modem is situated. I shut it down, reboot, the modem, the computer and my desire to live. The internet goes right up, the email works, all is good in my office. Triumphantly I descend the staircase as Caesar may have after a stroll through Gaul.



“Did you fix it?” asks TLW.

“It’s working upstairs!”

On we both go, but nothing works but my high blood pressure.

TLW makes an announcement: “It’s not working! Maybe you should reboot the modem or something.”

Me; “Well, I rebooted the modem before, and it works upstairs, maybe I’ll reboot the something you just mentioned.”

“What?”

“Never mind” and with that I go back upstairs, this time I reboot the modem again, test my computer to see that it works and go back downstairs to test both our lap tops. Just as I suspected: IT WON”T WORK! I feel like Napoleon leaving Moscow.

I do a little reconfiguring with the preferences, curse a little, and sip my coffee. (This is called multi-tasking, and should not be tried at home without supervision if you are over 60.) It works! IT WORKS!! OH, LORDY IT WORKS!!!

Like Hitler entering Paris, I march off for a cup of coffee from my Krup coffee maker. It’s on, the water is ready to brew, I put in a new pod and…

My coffee maker doesn’t work!
“Toots, the coffee maker isn’t working.”
In marches TLW, looks at it, hits a few buttons, nothing.
“Maybe you need to reboot it or something, Joe”

???

No comments: