Thursday, August 04, 2011

STARTING A NEW NOVEL

While I shop around my ‘Tolik’s Odyssey’, I am starting a new one, to amuse me and to help me hone my writing skills. No one loves a good book better than me, but that doesn’t stop me from trying to write one. If people say anything about me when I kiss off, it will be that I kept on going.



Writing a book takes time, research and a familiar subject. It means taking things that you like to do, and putting them together in one package. I love to explore, but not read as much as I like to write. Somewhere in my genes lies a writer from my past, a ‘poeta o giornalista’ who couldn’t contain him or her, or died frustrated trying.

As a child I had no desire to write, in fact I didn’t have the desire when I became an adult. However, when I was just about to retire, I decided I needed to express myself in written form, and started the blog in March of ’06. I haven’t stopped writing since. I did a little copy here and there in the business, but nothing major, nothing I think is noteworthy. It seemed growing up that my observations were oral or with a pencil or paint. I found this talent to draw and it made me become more aware of the world. Mom encouraged my endeavors, and so did Dad, who had a talent to draw. His ambition as a teenager was to become a commercial artist, one he never fulfilled, but saw me become a designer. This kind of put closure to his dream, and I am happy that he lived to see me become successful at it. I always worked to make him proud, and very difficult thing to do as his son.

What compels me to write now is my visual sense, one that I can describe in details as I see the scene, my imagination and my love of history. My novels will all be historical in nature, based on truth and facts that can’t be altered, but one could embellish upon. The story always seems to write itself, I come along for the ride. As I write, I can’t wait for the next day, to see where I will put the character. I owe a great deal of thanks to #1 Son, who encouraged me and even gave me pointers that I still use as my bible.

So what happens? Not only #1 Son is a writer (A pretty good one too) and #2 turns out to be terrific like #1! Speak of pride, speak of a sense of accomplishment, the kid can really mix a consonant or two with a few vowels and make one hell of a soup!

But there lies an irony in all this. TLW (The Little Woman) will tell you, the many years I would come home from work, angry at every copywriter that ever existed, sounding off about how they keep changing their minds, vowing that if my child EVER became a writer, I would disown him or her! Really.



If you are interested in reading some of my Tolik’s Odyssey got to: http://deliterature.blogspot.com/ but start at the bottom of the page and read the next chapter above it.


No comments: