Thursday, September 08, 2011

GIVE ME A BREAK!


Recently on the NBC News morning show, there was a report about the hidden dangers of the homemade lunch that children bring to school. They can bring it in a lunch pail, lunch box or even a brown paper bag, but there lies danger in that!

My mother is 93; about 87 years ago she started to bring her lunch to school, and like everyone else probably stuffed it in her school bag and then the desk.

I recall Dad, when I lived in Brooklyn, would take the brown bag of lunch and carry a bag of garbage downstairs to the garbage can, and on most days get it right, the garbage bag in the can, the lunch bag to work, where he stored it in his locker or cubby hole.

Then there was my sisters and me who carried our lunch to school, in a brown bag and stored it in our desks.

All these instances I bring you occurred simultaneously with millions of other adults and children through the years.

The NBC ladies who made the report said that 99% of the lunches were stored improperly and had the potential for terrible things like: upset stomachs, diarrhea, and death!

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THESE PEOPLE WHO NEVER HAD ANYTHING HAPPEN?  They are still here, still living, Mom is 93, didn’t kill her. Maybe it still might?

I think that a little bacterium is good for the body as a preventative, and I think we are really coddling the children of today this time by getting so excited about it.

I can see a government agency putting out strict guidelines for schools, offices and factory building, and all form of business establishments having to have a storage place, cooled to less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit available.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Homemade lunch! Oh the humanity!