Monday, September 12, 2011

JIM, WE HARDLY KNEW YE!


There are people in this world that when you meet them, they are forever in your mind. They stay with you in their voice, outlook and demeanor. They stand in your mind like Mount Rushmore, well after they pass on. Such a man was Jim Manning. Jim has been gone too long, and I think I miss the old codger; his mind was unfortunately not utilized to its fullest extent because the world was too stupid to tap it. But in spite of the world, he did leave of legacy of children, and grandchildren and even great grandchildren. He also left great memories.

TLW (The Little Woman’s) younger brother Dennis took the time to make a family tree, and I think although it is wonderful to do, he should really write a history of his father, and whom he was. This history or even Bio should be written for all the grandchildren or great grandchildren of Jim Manning. They would see how they became who they are. They could take great pride in the fact that their grandfather or great grandfather was a man of high morals, and a great sense of what is right and wrong. I think under the word: “Integrity” in the Webster Unabridged Dictionary is a picture of Jim Manning.

I was only a son-in-law, I don’t really know if he liked me or not, but I do know that my children have a bit of him in them, and for that I am grateful.


He loved his wife Helen, who was a perfect mother-in-law to me, and he raised 4 wonderful children, who made some great choices for mates, with the exception of TLW, so he did pretty darn well as a father and symbol of morality.

Today had he lived he would have been 101 years of age! I think in his children’s hearts and minds, he IS still alive, still leaving his wonderful sense of right from wrong in their hearts. I know he would have been very proud of all of them today, and what they have done with their live.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM! There should be a statue to commemorate you existence.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Nice remembrance. Men of your father-in-law's generation were the strong, silent type. Not a lot of talk, they just rolled up their sleeves and did what had to be done. Happy 101st, Jim.

Anonymous said...

NIce, Joe.
SS-I-L